Saturday, October 28, 2006

Silly Saturday #5


DUCK!

Do you know why ducks are so funny? I don't either*, but as Petey Fisk of Greater Tuna would say, "Let's talk about ducks."

Probably my first memory of ducks involved the Secret Word Duck on Groucho Marx's TV show, You Bet Your Life. At the beginning of the show, before the contestants came out, this duck would descend holding a card with the secret "woid," as Groucho would say. The audience would know what the word was, but not the contestants. When they came out on stage, Groucho would chat with them, steering them to subjects that might get them to say the word. The closer the conversation got to someone saying that word, the more the studio audience (and we at home) would twitter. When someone did say the word, they won a hundred dollars.

No, I don't think it was Donald Duck or Daffy Duck that first grabbed my childhood attention; I believe it was the Secret Word Duck. I was in love with words (and free money) even then.

Here's a website devoted to "Marxism," called Why A Duck?

And then there's the immortal Duck Soup, a look at wars and the people who make them, still relevant today.



*I suspect it has something to do with the waddle.