Sunday, December 04, 2005

Miserable Winter, Part Duh

First, read or reread the previous post about Miserable Winter.
I'll wait.

Okay, now: Most of you, like Strieber and his co-author, Art Bell, would choose to tell everyone what you knew (or believed you knew). I read The Coming Global Superstorm when it first came out in 1999. Its premise and arguments seemed plausible to me. I have since watched, and continue to observe, the events depicted in the book unfold as predicted. It scares the bejesus outta me. My first reaction was to tell everyone I knew about what I'd read. But then I thought more about that. A lot more. What good would that do? Even if you believe that the superstorm is coming, there is nothing you can do to prevent it, so what's the point? So I've said very little about it to anyone over the past six years. It's not that I was worried about being labelled a nut. Hell, that's documented, at least to those who confuse being hospitalized for clinical depression with psychosis. And it's not that I was afraid I couldn't convince people of what I believed was the truth, because all I could do, realistically, was get them to read the book, follow the news reports, and form their own conclusions. No, what stopped me was this: that could really freaking ruin someone's day. And for what? If there was some solution, that's one thing, but ... there isn't. We're in deep doo-doo. Make that frozen doo-doo.

The way I feel about it now is this: whatever we do today, let's make it a nice one for ourselves and others. Let's make every single day we have left a nice one. Starting now. That, we can do.