Sunday, April 30, 2006

A Dangerous Business



One day Pooks and I were comparing offices. This is a picture of my desk. My laptop, Harriett, is open to a picture of Pooks' desk, but you wouldn't know that because, you know, where's the desk? Pooks pointed out that writing is a messy business. That is so true.

But the point I want to make today is that writing is also a dangerous business. No, no, I'm not talking about the minor, day-to-day injuries we suffer, such as paper cuts and broken fingernails. Nor am I speaking of the occasional stubbed toe or banged knee incurred while trying to get to the printer.

I'm talking serious injuries, such as

Carpal tunnel syndrome
Computer eyestrain syndrome
Myopia
Presbyopia
(ok, those last two aren't so serious, but they sound like it because they end in "ia.")
Writer's Neck ("Video Displacement Syndrome" in chiropractic)
Migraines
Writer's Block (think illegal block below the waist, only it's in your head)
Insomnia
and, of course
Buttnumbia

Yes, it is time that writers receive the same respect and awe given to those in any other dangerous profession. So, the next time someone asks about the ice pack on your neck or the splint on your wrist, just shrug (wincing in pain) and say, "Oh, it's just an old writing injury."