Thursday, December 06, 2007

Color me gobsmacked

Finally, a presidential candidate said what needed to be said when it comes to politics and religion. The fact that this came from a Republican candidate, and MITT ROMNEY, of all people, leaves me gobsmacked.

Some quotes:

"Religious tolerance would be a shallow principle, indeed, if it were reserved only for faiths with which we agree."

"There are some who would have a presidential candidate describe and explain his church's distinctive doctrines. To do so would enable the very religious test the founders prohibited in the Constitution."

"No candidate should become the spokesman for his faith. For if he becomes president he will need the prayers of the people of all faiths."

"Freedom requires religion, just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone." [Okay, I have no idea what he thinks he means here, but it's poetic and doesn't seem to be harmful, IMO]

"Like him [John F. Kennedy], I am an American running for president. I do not define my candidacy by my religion. A person should not be elected because of his faith nor should he be rejected because of his faith."

"If I am fortunate to become your president, I will serve no one religion, no one group, no one cause, and no one interest. A president must serve only the common cause of the people of the United States."


Well hallelujah! Of course, this speech of his will likely cost him the Fundies' vote (what? tolerance?), but I've got to give Romney credit for being the voice of reason on this issue.