Wednesday, November 01, 2006

And They're Off! (but only a little)

Anyone starting NaNoWriMo today? (That's National Novel Writing Month, where insane people choose the second-most insane month in which to write a novel. A whole novel. In one month. So, okay, they're off more than just a little, IMO.)

Two in our writers' group are doing this. I admire their effort, I really do. However, I must point out that it's the two males in the group, and THEY don't have to worry about putting Thanksgiving dinner together and stuff like that (at least I don't think they do.) THEY have wives.

One of them is semi-retired, but the other one has a real day job. The semi-retired one has opted out of the writers' group for this month, but the one with the full-time job is going to hang in with us, somehow.

Which brings me to the question of time management. I know that we are each given the exact amount of time, no more, no less, than anyone else. I used to work full time, and I wrote my first novel then (but not in a month!) Now that I'm retired, it seems like I'm busier than ever. At the start of every week I think I'll make a major dent in my WIP (Work in Progress), but then the end of the week arrives and I've done diddly squat about it.

I think it's more a question of energy than time. I was born tired. I've never been a high-energy type. By the time I've done everything that needs to be done, run all the errands, walked the dogs, and cleaned the cat litter box, I'm pooped. I'm ready for Dr. Phil and a nap. That's just pathetic.

When Tomcat's parents were here for a visit, we marvelled at how much energy they have and how much they seem to get done. What's up with that? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

I can't say that I don't have the time to do NaNoWriMo, but I sure don't have the energy to devote to it.

I wish the guys in our group THE BEST OF LUCK with this, and the rest of the group is looking forward to reading what they come up with.

By the way, Pooks says there's also going to be a National Screenwriting Month, which will be in June (a much more sensible month than November.)