Saturday, September 01, 2007

Wrap your heads around this

Good morning, boys and girls!

Whilst Stumbling, I kept seeing references to the coming Singularity, which is expected to occur sometime around 2035, give/take a few years.

There doesn't seem to be much debate about whether it will happen; that seems to be foregone.

There is minor debate about when it will arrive; some say sooner, others say later.

There is some talk about what could possibly stop it (and general agreement that nothing short of a global catastrophe capable of wiping out Civilization As We Know It could stop it.)

But there is lots of discussion about what it will mean, even though, it seems that, due to the nature of the Singularity itself, the effects are unknowable.

At first, I didn't pay much attention to this because I thought all this was some kind of New Age thing, like the so-called Harmonic Convergence of yesteryear. But one evening, I decided to Google me some Singularity and see what this was all about.

I really wish I hadn't.

Surviving the Singularity

A Butlerian Jihad

The Singularity is Near


Have a nice day.