Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Progress

The plumber, the electrician, the baker, and the candlestick maker have all been out to Maxwell House, and work begins this week. If I could keep things in perspective, this would not be so stressful. But, I guess I gotta be me...

It's the blasted heat for one thing. A hundred degrees and no relief in sight. It would be ladylike to say that I "wilt" in weather like this. Sweat, stink, and diaper rash would not be mentioned. So, to be the ladylike Southern gal that I am, let's just say that by the end of the day, after meeting with workmen to get estimates on painting, hauling junk away, repairing hardwood floors that have been soaked with cat pee, I am fucking wilted.

Yesterday I learned two things about the house.

1. The electrical work is original - that is to say, it's a hundred years old. The electrician took pictures of the system with his cell phone to show his supervisor. I don't think this is necessarily a good thing.

2. The pine used for the floors is cut in lengths no longer available. Those huge, tall trees are gone forever. Back then, people cut the lumber to fit into box cars, so the hardwood floors in these old homes have boards as long as the room - anywhere from twelve to thirty feet or more.

It looks like we can move into the house in about two weeks. Carried in on a stretcher if necessary.

Thanks to all for your kindness. It means a lot.

Scruffybutt says arf, y'all.